Saturday, September 28, 2013

Update

From Thursday Sept. 19th- Saturday September 28th

Update from Jodie (Mom)

Well Hello There to ALL the followers of Kollin’s Blog.  It’s been awhile since you’ve been updated on KPG’s progress, and there’s been lot’s of good stuff happening up here at the hospital.  Last Thursday (a week ago), Gary and I met with various Dr.’s and medical personnel for what they called a “Care Conference.”  They explained to us that their goal was to get Kollin out of the ICU and into rehab where he could begin to move forward in his recovery.  Because Kollin was spending a lot of his energy on daily breathing, they felt that it would be a good idea to do a Tracheostomy on KPG, and maybe place a G-tube in his belly so that they could begin giving him Bolus feedings. (More calories—as he’s lost about 20lbs in the past 3 weeks—ugh!!).  Both of these procedures would need to be done under anesthesia in the Operating Room.  He would then be on pain killers again (and we just barely got him off the pain killers), AND he would need 3-5 more days in the ICU to re-cooperate.  It felt like a step in the wrong direction, but they assured us that the Trach and the G-tube would propel him forward at a much faster speed than if they did not pursue this course of action.  After much coercing on the part of Gary, the team agreed to wait until the following Tuesday to reevaluate and see how Kollin was doing.  “Let’s give him a chance to breathe better on his own before we take such drastic measures,” was how Gary felt.  Later that night I listened as Kollin’s Dad explained to him, (In teenage mentality terms) what we had talked about in the “Care Conference.”  At this point, they had already begun weaning him off of the Bi-Pap (breathing machine).  That day, he’d already been off it for more than 5 ½ hours, and he did really well breathing on his own during that time.  Kollin set some goals with Gary that night.  Goals that would later lead to Great things!
The next three days brought an incredible amount of progress from Kollin as he pushed himself just a little more each time he had Physical Therapy.  One morning shortly after waking up, he said to me, “Mom, today when Lisa comes, I’m going to do twice as many reps as she tells me to do.”  His competitive, fighting spirit was coming back in full force.  The more he moved about, the more he got out of his bed, the harder he worked during PT, the stronger his lungs became, and the less he needed the Bi-Pap machine during the day.  What was once so very difficult for him, like sitting on the edge of the bed, became second nature.  He began to balance on his own while sitting up-right.  Strength was increased as he balanced side to side and front to back. (being able to balance with a heavy neck brace on is quite an impressive feat.)  On Saturday we met a Physical therapist named Rick.  Gary explained our goals to get Kollin out of the ICU without needing a tracheostomy.  Rick gave Kollin 3 of the toughest workouts that he’s had thus far, all while keeping our goals in mind. During two sessions on Saturday and one on Sunday morning, Kollin began to do things that I didn’t think he would be able to do yet.  He blew my mind as I watched him roll himself onto his side and then push with his arms to sit up (Rick took care of his legs).  He rolled a 5 lb. ball into his hand and lifted it up high in the air to tap Rick’s suspended hand, then back to his lap—10 times with each arm.  The Left hand is even getting stronger and a little bit more coordinated.  That’s my boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fortunate for us, the Dr. that was really pushing for the Trach happened to walk by Sunday morning during Kollin’s work out.  She was impressed and wanted to know how many hours KPG had been off the Bi-Pap the previous day.  When I replied 9 ½ hours, she had a hard time concealing her dismay.  I would like to mention here that during this weekend, Kollin’s nurse Sandi was a huge help to us in encouraging KPG, and us to fight for what we wanted to see happen.  She kept telling Kollin that his attitude was the Best she’d ever seen, and the kind that would take him places.  What a huge help she was in advocating for Kollin to the Dr.’s later on Sunday.  Sandi told Dr. Hubbard of Kollins progress over the past 3 days, and of his fantastic attitude.  I really believe that she was instrumental in the “Big Move” that happened Sunday afternoon.  It was decided that Kollin would be moved out of the ICU on a few conditions.  We would continue to wean him off the Bi-pap during the day, and his feeds would continue through the feeding tube.  A formal Swallow Study was scheduled for the following Tuesday. (Let’s get this boy drinking and eating again.)  I heard Dr. Hubbard say on more than one occasion, “Kollin you proved me wrong.” 
The Neuro Trauma Unit has been a wonderful place to be.  We love the nurses and Dr.’s and staff who deal mainly with spinal cord, and brain injuries.  This past week Kollin has enjoyed many, many rides in the swing wheelchair, and he has a new found sense of freedom.  No longer stuck in his bed in the ICU, he’s been able to visit the sun deck on the roof and feel the sun on his face.  He’s watched the very life-flight helicopter that brought him here land on the roof—exciting, but sad at the same time, because of the passenger being dropped off.  Instead of waiting in his bed like usual, he accompanied Gary and I to the cafeteria, where he watched us do the very thing that he longs to do……Drink and Eat.  Sounds like a form of torture right???  It was actually HIS choice to come with us.  I would never have been able to have that kind of strength—I’m so weak when it comes to food.  During one of his rides to the 4th floor sun deck he made me stop in front of the drink vending machine, “just to look, so he’d know what was available when the time was right.”  He grabbed onto the drinking fountain on another ride down the hall and just wanted to put his hand into the running water.  So you can imagine how utterly thrilled he was, when he passed his swallow test and could begin drinking.  Water at first, but he quickly advanced to Fresca and Dr. Pepper.  He was like a kid in a candy store, all Giddy and almost hyper ventilating.  The speech therapist put him on what’s called a “Soft Mechanical” diet.  He’s been asking for watermelon, grapes and oranges. All the really juicy fruits-haha.   So Tuesday night, Gary was able to find grapes and mandarin oranges down in the cafeteria. As we sat on the sun deck that night overlooking the U of U campus, Kollin exclaimed, “Guys this is sooooooo much fun!!!!!!!!!!” Hmmmmmm this statement coming from a 14yr old boy who is sitting in a wheelchair on a hospital roof, eating dinner with both of his parents—I couldn’t agree more.  It was like Heaven to me too buddy.
On Thursday September 26th, Kollin graduated to a REAL wheelchair.  His nurse, Jenny told him that she has never seen a spinal cord injury patient move so quickly from the swing wheelchair to a REAL upright wheelchair.  Yes, He is AMAZING, and we know why…  PRAYER WORKS!!!!!!  Kollin has been wheeling himself down to the Physical Therapy Gym and back twice a day now for the past 3 days.  His spirits are soaring as he sees that HE can get himself where he wants to go.  It’s been an amazing week!!!!!!
KPG is quickly earning his new nickname, “Hollywood”, given to him by nurse Dave.  A few days ago a reporter from the Deseret News did an interview with him while KSL filmed along side.  They even came down to the gym and witnessed Kollin’s amazing strength, and good attitude.  Somehow the Reporter, Emily found out about Kollin’s Blog and became interested in doing a story about him.  KSL followed by sending Jed Boal out yesterday for more filming and interviewing of Kollin’s big Brothers.  For all that are interested, the Deseret News story will be in Monday morning’s paper—front page I believe. And the KSL story will air on Monday as well (that’s September 30th)—most likely in the evening.  But wait….. there is one more news story that includes the wanna be famous KPG.  He will also be featured in a FOX news report that Highlights the 20th anniversary of “Intermountain Therapy Dogs”.  Kollin and Diva, can be seen sharing some good cuddle time on your local FOX news channel sometime either tonight or tomorrow night—That’s Saturday September 28th or Sunday September 29th.   Lots of excitement coming your way…..What a difference a week can make huh????  We are ever so grateful for your continuous support and prayers offered on Kollin’s behalf.  We’ve felt it everyday, these past 4 WEEKS and everyday more and more Miracles occur.  Isn’t Life Grand?????  Out of a tragic accident our hearts will be forever knit in unity with so many good, caring folks.  May God bless you all for your goodness.

8 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever commented but I have followed Kollin's story since it began. I have been praying daily for him! What an awesome God we know. I believe prayer and determination is what has gotten Kollin to this point and of course, his amazing family! I am so happy to read this news. I will keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KPG is truly a Hollywood Rockstar, and so are his parents!! You guys all are the greatest!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know you but I found your blog though Stephanie's blog. I have been through a very similar situation. I didn't break my neck but my spinal chord became inflamed and completely swollen. We still don't know exactly why. I lost all feeling and movement from my waist down. I was paralyzed! I just want you to never give up!! I was told I may never walk again. No one knew what my recovery would be. Would I walk? Would I be able to take care of my kids? Would I be able to take a shower on my own ever again? And if I did get better, would it happen again? These questions and many more were always on my mind. I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 months. Let me tell you it is all about attitude!! I kept telling my therapists I was not leaving that hospital in a wheelchair. I was not going home unless I could walk. I slowly regained feeling in my legs and was able to move just a little bit more each day. Everyone was amazed! I went home from the hospital with just a walker and only used that for a few weeks at home before getting rid of it as well. I am not 100% but I can function and do everything I need to do to take care of my family. I am also mormon like you. There is no doubt in my mind that the prayers of so many are what got me to where I am today.I knew something that none of the doctors or therapist knew.....I had hundreds and people praying for me and the Lord was on my side. Please keep the awesome attitude that you have today. It will get you so much farther than you or anyone can imagine! Best of luck! Remeber...."You can do hard things!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me cry. I am so happy for your family. I will keep praying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best post ever! I love all the good news and progress. The heavens are definitely sending down needed blessings! Love to you all!
    Tracy and Jan Rawle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited to hear KPG is doing so awesome. I have been following your story. My son and I hold a special place in our HEARTS for the NT Unit at primary's. My son Parker had became very ill last summer and ended paralyzed. Lisa in PT was his biggest cheerleader and Dave the nurse became his best friend. He had to learn to walk again and the easiest things became the biggest obstacles. But with faith,prayer and a great staff you guys have got this. Being a single mom and Parker being my only child you can only imagine how much I needed my faith. Please know you are in my prayers. Dave the nurse loves a good water fight with the syringes. Tell Kollin to get him for us. With love Harmoni and Parker Hamby

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read Kollin's story on facebook this morning. I taught Ethan and Kollin when they were in 4th grade and LOVED their great personalities and senses of humor. Sending lots of prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been thinking so much about your family since my mom gave me the news a few weeks ago. Your family is so strong, and I am grateful for your examples. I am happy to read about his incredible progress. I will keep praying for him and your family. I still have such sweet memories of your boys and how much I loved babysitting them. Rachel (Hicks) Barth

    ReplyDelete