Saturday, September 7, 2013

Best Day Yet

Thursday September 5 and Friday September 6, 2013

Post from Jodie (Mom)

Kollin waited around all day to go to surgery on Thursday September 5th.  Finally at 6:00pm it was time.  The neurosurgeons were able to go into the same incision that was used for the fusion surgery.  Their goal this time was to remove the very large hematoma (blood clot) that was located behind his trachea and most likely a result of the previous surgery done last Saturday.  The surgery went very well and they were able to remove most of the hematoma, but not all of it.  By the time Kollin returned to the ICU, most of his anesthesia was beginning to wear off.  He was in such high spirits, and we began to see his personality returning.



Today (Friday the 6th—we’ve been here one week) has been probably one of the BEST days yet.  It’s amazing what “breathing well” can do for a kid.  Kollin remains on the ventilator, but is so much more comfortable than ever before.  He began his nutrition replacement again last night, being fed through a feeding tube.  He is finally getting some calories in him, and regaining his strength.  The morning started off with the Physical Therapy team getting him to sit in a chair. Not like you or I would sit in a chair, but a huge feat for him to undertake.  We were able to wheel him and all his paraphernalia out of his room and towards the window. (He’s been asking what it looks like outside for days).  The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and he was sitting outside of his ICU room.  All things that made him so happy.  


 



Since he is unable to talk, due to a tube being down his throat, we have been given the “Thumbs-UP” sign many times today.  He also has a white board that he can write on for further communications.  Before we put him back in bed, I was able to give his hair a good washing for the first time in a week. Grandpa Rodge insisted on styling it, giving him a good comb back look-- Watch out girls, he’s as handsome as ever!!!!!






 He also had another Dog visitor while sitting in the chair.  Elliott, a labra-doodle came in and let KPG pet him and feed him treats. What an amazing thing this animal did for my son.  His spirits were lifted even higher.  Before leaving, Elliott’s owner said, “let’s say a prayer for Kollin before we leave.”   Elliott put his paws up on the bed, bowed his head down, and when his owner said “Amen”, he gave a little bark and got down.  YES you can smile even with a breathing tube.



 
  


  After we got Kollin settled back into his bed, he immediately asked for the white board.  BTW Me and Gary are getting really good at  Charades J  He wrote TV…  As we flipped through the channels he gave us the signal to stop at Sponge Bob.  I think he wanted to watch it in honor of his big brother Braydon who is serving a mission in Africa.  UGH!!!!!  Sponge Bob is so annoying, but KPG was in heaven so we tolerated it-haha.  Health wise we are hoping they will be able to remove the breathing tube soon.  His lungs have been having a hard time staying all the way inflated so it can’t come out quite yet, but he is very anxious to eat and drink.  He is so patient and polite to all the doctors and nurses.  After a particularly difficult Respiratory treatment, he wrote Thank You!!! to the Respiratory Therapist.  On the way down to x-ray today, he even waved at a random hot nurse—such a little flirt!!!!!  It really has been a day of MIRACLES, but perhaps the biggest one of all came at the end of the day when I asked him if he wanted me to put soft music on for him to fall asleep to.  He motioned that he wanted to write something on the white board---“I want You to sing to me.”  Talk about a tender moment for me.  He then requested “Whenever I hear the song of a bird,” “I love to see the Temple”, and “I am a Child of God.”  These are all songs that I used to sing him to sleep with when he was a little boy.  The spirit filled the room and not because of my beautiful singing voice- Haha.  What an honor it is to be his mother.  I was reminded of how quickly the spirit is summoned by Music, and how fast it appears when it’s invited.  The Gospel of Jesus Christ is real, it’s true, it’s unifying, and glorious.  We are so blessed to have so many good souls praying for us along this crazy journey.  Love to you. 

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this post!! So glad it was such a better day. So happy... ������

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for a good day!! We are praying for your family! Every time I read the updates I cry. You have such an amazing family and attitude. Hang in there! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learned about you from Stephanie Nielsen's (nienie's) blog. Loved the part about asking you to sing and about how it brings the Spirit. Such a tender experience. Feel like i am on sacred ground getting to share that--and don't even know you or your family. Hope things continue to improve. Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jody, thank you so much for keeping us all updated. I still can't believe it's true what you are going through. Every little improvement is so wonderful. Continuing to pray for Kollin and your family. Love Dan and Lynette Southwick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodie, I'm so glad to hear he's a little better. You're family has been in my thoughts all week! I've always admired you, I remember as a teen thinking "when I have a family, I hope it's just like Jodie's!" Your boys were so sweet and you seemed so happy to be their mom...not to mention you were all beautiful! It looked like the "perfect family" to my 18 year old eyes. Life's thrown you lots of curve balls over the years but reading your posts I can see your family is still the sweet & loving family that I've always admired! You'll be in my prayers & thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jody and Family.I came across your very moving blog from reading Nienies.I live in London.UK.Since coming across Pray for Kollin, I wake every morning and think of your son and hope he has had a good day.A very close friend of mine broke his neck 25 years ago....and so reading what you and your family are going through has really touched me.Sending you all my wishes and prayers from over the seas.LULU.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending love, hope and strength from NSW Australia. May Kollin continue to improve and heal xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jody, I am so happy that I found the blog I have been begging for information on Kollin. I am glad Friday was a better day:) What an amazing young man he is!! We are praying for Kollin and your whole family. Please know how much love and prayers are coming your way. As always you continue to inspire me!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete