Friday, September 20, 2013

Milestones

September 20, 2013

Update From Jodie (Mom)

Thursday September 19th:
It has been a week of UPS and DOWNS, Sorrows and Laughter.  Today marks the 21st day in the ICU for KPG.  At the beginning of this week I began to wonder if I would ever see Kollin’s personality again.  Would I ever Laugh and Joke and just be able to Talk with him like we used to???  Is he ever going to SMILE again and mean it???  The dogs have kept coming, thank Goodness for the Dogs.  They are the very Best therapy he’s gotten, but they don’t come every day, and they don’t stay for long when they do come.  They have soooooo many other kids to visit.  Diva showed up at just the right time the other day. Kollin was sitting up on the side of his bed—feet touching the ground, back straight and head held up, all while being supported by the Physical therapist (Lisa).  Kollin hates this new part of his day.  It is very hard on him—his blood pressure usually drops pretty low, and he becomes dizzy and nauseated.  The first attempt at sitting like this only lasted 5 minutes, but it’s a necessary start for getting him used to sitting up.  Diva provided a wonderful distraction, as Kollin was performing his “Edge of the Bed Sit”. She hopped right up on the bed next to him, and for some reason the time flew by in an instant.  Next thing we knew, it had been a whole 15 minutes of straight up sitting.  Good Job Kollin, and Thank You Diva!!!!!!  Panda Bear is an Irish Sheep Dog, straight out of the Disney Movie, “The Shaggy D.A.”.  Yesterday we lowered KPG’s bed down pretty low and he scratched and petted the heck out of Panda.  I love the variety of Dogs that we have seen.  No matter the shape, size, color, or type, they bring with them a little slice of Happy Pie. And just for a moment my kid is just a kid petting a dog.  I hold onto NORMAL moments like these.  They are few and far between.











Kollin had some pretty Special visitors on Monday night.  Thank You to our friend and Neighbor, Stan Ricks, for arranging these visits.  As many of you may know, this Saturday is a day that many Utahns look forward to EVERY football season.  Utes vs. BYU!!!!!!!!!! (just a side note: Gary and I barely even know what day of the week it is, let alone who’s playing who in football right now) Each year, as we watch this rivalry game, our walls in the TV room have sustained damage, as Devon takes out his frustration by throwing things at them.  Last year I believe it was his fist that put a hole through the dry wall.  Nope we haven’t patched it up yet.  Any Whoooo…Stan has these 2 nephews that are brothers and one plays for the Utes and one plays for the Coug’s.  First we were visited by a group of enormous Ute players.  They were the kindest, most decent guys ever!!!!!  They brought KPG a Red Utah shirt and they stayed and gave Kollin a ton of encouragement, not to mention they asked us lots of questions about KPG’s current situation.  Of course they wanted to know who Kollin was going to root for on Saturday.  Kollin had been asked about 2 ½ weeks ago, at the beginning of his stay in the ICU, whether or not he was a Ute fan.  After all we are in UTE territory being up at Primary Children’s Hospital.  Kollin does not have Devon’s total devotion to BYU, so he replied, “I’m a Ute fan as long as they aren’t playing against BYU.”  That was what I now told these large football players that were towering over me.  They seemed totally satisfied with that logic, but as I wrote down their names, along with their jersey #’s, I felt that those of us in room 12 of the PICU would somehow be cheering those 4 UTE players on during Saturday’s game.  Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!  Before they left, Trevor, kept saying, “So Kollin we understand the ‘cougarettes” are going to be here any minute, so we’re going to have to say good-bye for now.”  I was so confused, until I realized that he was talking about his brother Drew and the BYU football players that I knew were coming.  Haha funny guy.  About 10 minutes later, here came some more Huge guys, but these ones were wearing “True Blue”!!!!!  They too were super encouraging to Kollin, and did a lot of talking to just him. Kollin gave them the thumbs up many times during their 15 minute visit.  They presented KPG with a cool BYU—“Rise Up” flag.  I’m not sure if they even realize how much that saying on the flag touched me.  Oh how I long for my Boy to do just that….RISE UP.  Thank you so very much, Markus, Mitch, and Drew!!!!!!  I watched in amazement at 6’6 Mitch and 6’5 Markus taped the flag to the top of the wall for KPG to look at.  What good souls they are.. they even offered Kollin a tour of the BYU field and locker room as soon as he gets out of the hospital.  How motivating is that for KPG???








As the week has progressed, I have witnessed my boy coming back into himself.  It has been so wonderful to watch as his personality is returning.  He has spent time getting updated on his Instagram.  Even scrolling through the pics on his own, and tapping to like many, many pictures.  He Loves his friends so so much, but this small activity wears him right out and usually his eyes slam shut in the middle of scrolling.  We are just thankful that his interests are coming back. 








Yesterday, we were given permission to take Kollin on a walk downstairs and OUTSIDE into the fresh air and sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It was Glorious.  While we were basking in the warmth and cool breeze, he was able to remove the Bi-Pap mask and breathe in the great outdoors for about 30 minutes.  HE LOVED IT!!!!!!!  While we were parked under a tree, we watched as the coolest car pulled up and dropped someone off.  Our nurse Christy asked the driver if he would mind pulling up in front of Kollin so he could see the car.  My dad Paul E. Coon would have gone nuts over this 1967 Pontiac Firebird.  It was as sweet sounding as it was sweet looking.  Oh the joy we find in the smallest of things.






When we got back to the ICU, Kollin had another swallow test done to see if he can begin drinking water.  It was a disappointing NO GO, but Kollin didn’t let it get his spirits down.  He will try again tomorrow.  He has been dreaming every night about sneaking drinks.  He told me that he hates it when he sees people filling up their “Water cup” with soda, and we laughed when he told me that in his dream HE did just that.  He filled up the water cup I’d given him with DR. Pepper when I wasn’t looking and then he hurried and drank it before I turned around.  Has anyone tried to drink Dr. Pepper really fast?????  Killer!!!!!!!  So I should mention that when you’ve had a breathing tube for as long as Kollin did, that your swallower is super weak, and almost has to be taught all over again how to swallow in a safe way.  So tomorrow is another day and Hopefully the Drinking will begin!!!!!  The swallow girl, as KPG calls her,  told him that talking helps to clear the fluid from around his vocal cords and this will help with swallowing, so he has been doing a lot more of that….TALKING. 
The trial test he did with trying to breathe room air on his own, was somewhat of a success.  The dr’s decided to let Kollin try breathing without the Bi-Pap mask while he is awake and being somewhat active.   This in itself will be a test to see how he does breathing on his own for longer stretches of time.  At night, and during naps, the Bi-Pap will need to be worn, because KPG doesn’t breathe as deeply when he is asleep.  This is such good news for him and another step in the right direction.  In other words, one step closer to getting out of the ICU---yippeeeeee!!!!!!
So yesterday morning, during PT, Kollin wasn’t feeling very good. (probably because he only got 4 hours of sleep)  But Physical Therapy is so important and necessary for his improvement.  He’d done all of his arm workout using a 3lb. stick and at the end of his chest presses, his nurse, Christy, said, “Ok hun bun, I want to see you do just one press with the 5lb. stick.”  Head shakes NO from KPG.  Then more encouragement and pushing from Christy.  A very disgusted, and tired Kollin grabbed for the 5lb stick and pumped out, not 1 but 20 chest presses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It was hilarious and got us all clapping and cheering for him.  He’s such a show off sometimes and I love it!!!!!!!!!  I knew he still had his FIGHTING SPIRIT.
The biggest smiles of the day came when Gare Bear showed up and brought with him the BEST gift ever for Kollin.  Thank You YARRO’s!!!!!!!!  A 10 minute video made just for KPG, of sooooo many people that Kollin loves, speaking to him, dancing for him, and just being silly.  AWWWWWW I cannot tell you what this did for his spirits.  That helped him to feel connected to everyone that he so desperately misses, but cannot visit at this time.  We love you!!!!!!!  Thanks to everyone that participated and helped put the video together.  What an awesome idea!!!!!!! 





Last night before bed, Kollin enjoyed shooting some hoops from his bed.  His coordination and strength are improving by the minute.  Today has been such a GREAT DAY, filled with so much PURE JOY.  Prayer works everyone--- our hearts will be forever tied to yours in gratitude for the love and support you have shown to us and especially to KPG.   LOVES To YOU!!!

6 comments:

  1. Reading this blog entry totally made my day!!
    Kollin is such a strong kid, and the support system around him is amazing!
    I can't wait to see his happy smile again around church and the neighborhood.
    Stay strong. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers.
    We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for the wonderful updates! Will continue prayers from PA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I normally don't comment on blogs but I have been so touched by your family and in particular your remarkable young boy Kollin. Everyday I check in on his progress and pray that he will continue to strengthen and not loose faith. I pray for your family to find solace and that God will equip you with the skills and the words to bring comfort to your boy as he embarks on his road to recovery. I personally have had my own trial with my teenage son of a different kind and I find that the moments I surrender my sorrows to The Lord, those are the times I feel His guidance and such a blanket of peace in the knowledge that all will be okay. Please tell Kollin that he is an inspiration to me and that people as far as away as Canada, care about him and send him love and hope. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Earlier this year I suffered a compression fracture to my L1 vertebrae while living thousands of miles from my family. My injury was nowhere near as serious as your son's, but the two weeks I spent immobile in the hospital were no fun, and neither was the recovery process. I can only imagine what Kollin has been going through, and am very impressed by his resilience. What a blessing that you can be there with him! I will keep you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodie, thank you for that wonderful post of your past few days. I'm thrilled to hear of Kollin's progress and hope & pray that he continues to have those small successes every day. You are all an inspiration to us to learn more patience and trust in The Lord as well as having the courage and faith to continue each day. I sure love you and continue to pray for mighty miracles and small ones too, like swallowing! :) give Kollin my best & let him know we are cheering him on in Springville. ( even tho Timpview kicked our booties in football last Friday)
    Lots of loves and hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a complete stranger who has been touched by Kollin's story. I was playing the song "Go the Distance" from Disney's 'Hercules' on the piano today and thought of the challenge your family is facing. Kollin reminds me of Hercules... Very best wishes to you all.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2A7KqHYeoQ

    ReplyDelete