Sunday, September 15, 2013

Update for September 12th

Thursday September 12, 2013


Update from Jodie (Mom)

News on the street is the Doc’s want to get that breathing tube out today.  After a week of NOT sleeping during the night, and trying to figure out why, I had a remembrance come to me yesterday afternoon.  When KPG was about 2 ½ we were camping and he was a sick little kid with a terrible cough.  The Dr. had prescribed him a cough medicine with codeine in it.  I gave it to Kollin right before bedtime, because this particular cough syrup made all of my other kids super sleepy.  Well with Kolly Wogs it had an opposite affect.  He was wired, bouncing off the walls, and laughing hysterically at the smallest things his brothers would do.  I started to think about the Oxycodone that they had started giving him for pain instead of Morphine.  Was there a corrolation between when they started giving him that med, and his inability to sleep??  Could this be the culprit???  I felt very strongly that it was, so I asked his nurse if there was something else we could give him instead of Oxycodone.  When KPG broke his arm he had taken Lortab and it worked really well for pain.  So we decided to take him off the Oxy and give Lortab a try.  It’s a MIRACLE!!!!  He slept through the night last night and boy did he need some good sleep.  I pray each day that the Holy Ghost will be my constant companion, and that he will be able to communicate with my very mushy brain.  I testify to you that He is a powerful force for good, and that He can bring all things to your remembrance at the right time that you need Him to. I am so very grateful that the Lord continues to let me know that He is mindful of Kollin’s situation. It is a great feeling!!!  We do not have to do hard things alone. 
Most of Thursday was spent in anticipation.  It almost felt like waiting for Christmas morning.  The Doctors wanted to do a few more breathing trials (Turn support down on the ventilator and see how he breathes on his own).  He did very well and the final word was given that the tube could come out of his throat.  Yeah!!!!!! Such good news and finally a step forward.  It was so nice to see Kollins face again with all the tape and tube gone, but that was short lived.  His lungs are still very sick and so he still needs some kind of support breathing.  He switched from the ventilator to a Bi-Pap machine.  It’s much like the breathing machine that my Dad wears at night for sleep apnea, but instead of the mask fitting over his mouth and nose, it only fits over his nose.  The strap that goes around his head and keeps it tight to his face really bugs him, but not as much as the tube down his throat did.  Tomorrow we will work on weaning him off the Bi-Pap.  



Bi-pap machine

3 comments:

  1. Jode you are such an amazing mom. I just love you so much! Such an amazing example to me in so many ways. Love ya cutie..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came over from Nie's blog. Praying for your sweet boy's recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The codeine story made me cry. Small and simple things. You are a guardian of your son and are obviously in tune with the spirit. I've been praying for your son.

    ReplyDelete